Advanced Analytics I
Big data’s promise is finally here.
Business is facing a bold new world: big data, new technologies, and advanced analytics present organizations with unprecedented challenges and opportunities. The explosion of data and new tools allows for new ways to solve most critical business issues: how to cut costs, improve the bottom line, and outperform competitors.
Yet few companies know how to benefit.
Even companies that have hired data scientists are ill-equipped to exploit big data because their business managers don’t understand how to leverage this new capability. Business teams lack the skills, tools or language required to lead data and technology teams to actionable results, so insights don’t lead to action.
We’re bringing business managers something new through Advanced Analytics 1 – teaching what’s possible with data – so that they can effectively use data to drive results and ROI.
Building on 20 years of expertise in enabling data-driven organizations, SSA & Company has partnered with InfomatiX – which is one of the fastest growing Business Intelligence firms in the world and has worked with companies like P&G, Nestlé, EY and General Mills. Together, we’ve developed a new program to help managers understand how to use data science and advanced analytics to drive greater and faster insights to move the business towards better decisions. Our goal is to close the culture gap between business managers and data/technology teams, providing managers with the skills required to lead data teams and identify opportunities and drive them forward efficiently and effectively.
Focus on insights AND actions:
Most big data courses focus on technology and are tailored to technology organizations; our goal is to empower business managers with an understanding of how to leverage new data analytics tools and decision frameworks to solve problems and generate real ROI.
Action learning that delivers value off the first tee:
Theory without practice has no value. All of our training courses involve practical application of new tools and techniques. Students put their classroom skills to use by delivering a data project, and receive our mentorship outside of the classroom to help them execute their project, which often pays for the for course itself (typically a 5x ROI).
Option to deploy deeper training with Advanced Analytics II:
This course is two additional weeks that builds off of Advanced Analytics I and is designed to deliver deeper credentials in data execution.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Business managers looking for new business opportunities or ways to increase revenue and profitability.
- Lean Six Sigma and other operations improvement leaders looking to solve complex challenges.
- Close the gap between the Business Management and IT/Data Science professionals by helping them share a common language to solve real business problems.
- Learn how to recognize advanced analytics opportunities in your own industry or function.
- Gain execution experience in Data Mining, Predictive Analytics, and Visualization, and base level knowledge of SQL, R and visualization software (Tableau, Spotfire, Qlikview, Lumira, etc.).
- Completion of a proof of concept or pilot project using advanced analytics techniques and tools.
- Become a data evangelist who can exploit advanced analytics to predict and optimize business outcomes.
- Gain the ability to lead teams of business practitioners, data experts and technologists to drive big data projects forward.
- Learn how to align your organization to better leverage data.
SSA & Company’s new Advanced Analytics I course prepares you to take a hands-on approach to the big data analysis tools and techniques by covering:
Big Data Background
- Understand what big data is, why it’s important and the art of the possible.
- Learn the differences between descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.
- How to leverage the data-driven decision making framework to go from raw data to information to insight to action.
How to Talk to Data
- Learn the languages necessary to disintermediate IT.
- Get a base understanding of SQL and R. (Users with prior knowledge will be able to test out).
Obtaining, Cleansing, and Storing Data
- Where to get data: internal, external sources
- How to get data: data scraping and data collection
- How to structure and cleanse data to an analyzable format
- Storage systems and technologies
- Hypothesis driven vs. exploratory approach
- How to understand data’s topology
- Various analyses with data mining and business-driven use cases, including:
- Anomaly & outlier detection
- K-means clustering
- Sentiment analysis
- Feature Engineering
- How to deliver business value through visualizations: data visualization techniques
- Creating geospatial visualizations
- Developing ‘real-time’ dashboards
- Hands-on practice and familiarization with visualization software
- Insight, not hindsight: Predictive analytics techniques
- Choosing what to predict
- Regression techniques for variable data
- Classification techniques
- How to ensure good generalization and avoid overfitting
Registration Fee Includes:
- Two weeks of classroom training (two one-week sessions, each separated by four weeks)
- 3 days of project execution support
- Electronic documentation of training materials to take home
- Attendance at all 9 days of classroom training
- An understanding of quantitative analysis
- Proficiency in using Excel
- Working knowledge of basic mathematics/statistics (regression analyses, etc.)
- One potential project that can be completed within a two- to six month timeframe (SSA will help enrollees identify appropriate projects)
- Windows-based laptop computer with ability to install R, SQL Server Management Studio Express and a visualization tool (i.e., Tableau). Participant must have access to the laptop throughout the training.